Transgender star Karla Sofía Gascón stirred outrage after making a bold declaration that she would DESTROY everything if removed from the Oscars. What happened next?

Karla Sofía Gascón, the star of *Emilia Pérez*, is standing firm in the face of ongoing controversies as she prepares for her historic Oscar nomination. 

Gascón, who is up for Best Actress at the 2025 Academy Awards, made history as the first openly transgender woman ever nominated in this category. 

Despite facing allegations of racism, Islamophobia, and controversy surrounding her past social media posts, 

Gascón confirmed that she would not be stepping down from her nomination.

In an emotional interview with CNN en Español that aired on February 2, Gascón addressed the various accusations surrounding her, explaining her side of the story and defending her actions. 

When asked whether she would renounce her Oscar nomination, she was unequivocal. 

“I cannot renounce a nomination because what I have done is a job and what is being valued is my acting work,” said Gascón, 52, emphasizing that her recognition at the Academy Awards was based solely on her performance in *Emilia Pérez*. She further stated, “I cannot step down from an Oscar nomination because I have not committed any crime, nor have I harmed anyone. I am neither racist nor anything that all these people have tried to make others believe I am.”

One of the most contentious issues has been her past social media posts, particularly a series of tweets about George Floyd’s tragic death, which sparked outrage after they resurfaced. In the posts, Gascón called Floyd “a drug addict and a hustler” and criticized the way his death was used to highlight the Black Lives Matter movement. These posts were widely condemned for their perceived insensitivity and lack of empathy. 

During the CNN interview, Gascón explained that her words were taken out of context. She clarified that her intention was to comment on Floyd’s transformation into a symbol of a cause, rather than to disparage him or any group of people. “He was a person who had been in a very difficult situation in his life and no one had helped him, and suddenly he becomes a symbol of a cause and everyone loved him,” Gascón said. She also added, “But for someone to think that … I have ever insulted a person because of their skin color, I do not allow that to anyone.”

In addition to the controversy over her comments about Floyd, Gascón faced accusations of Islamophobia after past posts were unearthed by journalist Sarah Hagi. Gascón, however, denied these claims, saying that she had a personal relationship with a Muslim woman who had taught her about respect for people. She explained that her opposition was aimed specifically at radical Islam, not the Muslim community as a whole.

Another part of the controversy revolved around a tweet Gascón allegedly made about her *Emilia Pérez* co-star, Selena Gomez, calling her a “rich rat” amid the publicized feud between Gomez and Hailey Bieber. Gascón was quick to deny the existence of the tweet. “It’s not mine, of course,” she stated firmly. “I have never said anything about my colleague. I would never refer to her that way.”

Throughout the interview, Gascón maintained that she had never intentionally harmed anyone, asserting that she was a peaceful person. “What have I done in my life? What have I done? I haven’t killed a single fly,” she said, reflecting her desire to present herself as someone who lives with kindness and respect for all. She even shared a personal anecdote, saying, “When I have a spider in my house I put a little glass on it so as not to kill it and take it out to the street,” reinforcing her peaceful nature.

Gascón’s Oscar nomination places her among the contenders for Best Actress alongside Cynthia Erivo, Mikey Madison, Demi Moore, and Fernanda Torres. *Emilia Pérez* itself is also a major contender, with 13 nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director for Jacques Audiard. This makes *Emilia Pérez* the most-nominated film of the year, further highlighting Gascón’s remarkable career milestone.

Despite the controversies surrounding her personal life and past statements, Gascón’s talent as an actress and the impact of *Emilia Pérez* remain undeniable. As she continues to face public scrutiny, she has made it clear that her Oscar nomination will stand and that she intends to focus on her work rather than the allegations that have emerged.

Follow us to see more useful information, as well as to give us more motivation to update more useful information for you.

Related Posts

Featured Image

Michael Strahan revealed that his co-host, Jimmy Johnson, cautioned him after he retired from the NFL: “He informed me it was due to my skin color.”

Michael Strahan, the former New York Giants star and longtime television personality, has confirmed his Hollywood aspirations following his departure from a beloved ABC show.  Strahan, a…

Featured Image

Whoopi Goldberg shocked fans by disclosing that the producers of the show had to “beg” her and The View co-hosts to stay on the program. What led to this unusual situation?

Whoopi Goldberg has issued a strong statement defending The View and its co-hosts against the ongoing criticism directed at the show.  During the March 4 episode, which…

Featured Image

Maura Higgins has been revealed to be the one who cheated, causing her relationship with Pete Wicks to fall apart. “She’s the real manipulator in this scenario.”

Maura Higgins’ recent remark about her ex-boyfriend Pete Wicks has resurfaced and gone viral following her headline-making kiss with McFly’s Danny Jones over the weekend. The former…

Featured Image

Angelina Jolie and her daughter Zahara are facing criticism for sharing incorrect facts about the problem of “period poverty” impacting young girls in Alabama.

Angelina Jolie recently demonstrated her unwavering support for her daughter, Zahara Jolie,  as the 20-year-old took the stage as a keynote speaker at Women in Training Inc.’s…

Featured Image

Shiloh, the child of Angelina Jolie, made a public statement declaring that she has no plans to reconcile with her mother. The specific rationale for her choice was not revealed.

Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, the 18-year-old daughter of Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt,  was seen on Monday heading to a dance studio in Los Angeles with her…

Featured Image

Ben Affleck recently shared that he presented a significant amount of cash to John Miller in exchange for him to release Jennifer Garner. According to Affleck, Garner reached out to him seeking assistance.

Ben Affleck is reportedly open to the idea of rekindling his past romance with his ex-wife, Jennifer Garner.  According to an insider, the Oscar-winning actor “would love…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *